Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Stand

The Stand: Expanded Edition: For the First Time Complete and Uncut (Signet)This book turned into an entire experience. An entirely awesome experience.

Since reading Cujo in 8th or 9th grade I hadn't touched Stephen King. I was afraid. You see Cujo wasn't so scary because there isn't so much paranormal s#!+, but just from the covers Stephen's novels looked scary (I know you aren't supposed to judge, but let's face it, mostly you can: book, person, house.... and not be too far off base on what's inside). And the titles sounded scary. After a small amount of convincing from a former English teacher (not my own) Chris and I embarked on this one together. Being that it's well over 1,000 pages and we (I) mostly only read it on long car rides, it took about 6 months for me to read aloud the entire story. Well worth it. And when it was over there was the added bonus of 355 minutes of The Stand on DVD laced with the talents of Molly Ringwald, Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe, and an appearance by Stephen King himself.If you do read this one and can pass my test to prove it, I'll watch the movie with you. I'll even provide the drinks.

The accidental release of a superflu in the US wipes out the majority of the population. The Stand is the story of those left behind. I love a good apocalypse story, especially with a supernatural good verses evil twist. Read it.

Just maybe don't read it alone in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment