Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sherlock Holmes

Works of Arthur Conan Doyle. (200+ Works) The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes, The Professor Challenger Works, The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard and more (mobi)The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Arcturus Paperback Classics)

So I am hoping this review does not detract from my amazing (not so great, actually) "review" of alabaster cow. So if you are reading this and did not read that, you better keep scrolling when you finish this shit. I'll know if you don't. Thanks :)    I am so far behind and claim to be a book review blog but am slacking. And I had coffee at 7:30 PM.

I know this is not some hot off the presses new novel by any means. By like 100 years. But Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the shit. The original shit. Sherlock is one of those guys I've thought most of my life I would have to tackle at some point. I only wish I had known that the as I dove in for the tackle I would quickly fall in love and spend the rest of my days trying to conjure the dude into real life. So he could be my best friend. My personal gumshoe.

When I saw movie previews back about 6 months ago, I knew the time had come and I checked The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes out of the local library. Surprise, surprise! It was an easy, straightforward read. None of the wordy, overly descriptive prose I was expecting. Instead Sir Arthur opens chapter one with a mystery and by the end of the chapter it's solved! Chapter two, repeat! So when I got a Kindle for Christmas I downloaded the entire Works of Arthur Conan Doyle for less than 5 bucks. Months later, I am only 13% of the way through and dreading the day I hit 100%. And just a fun fact (teensy spoiler alert). Sir Arthur was not as fond of Sherlock as his readers and once tried to kill him off. It didn't work. ALSO, like I said I have only read 13% (which is a complete novel about one mystery and at least 30 short story mysteries) and only ONCE has Sherlock used the term "elementary" and it was not in conjunction with "my dear, Watson" which is only rarely used on other occasions. Sooo read it. But when you're done find your own personal gumshoe, cuz this cat's taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment