Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Help

The Help       I first heard about The Help last fall and I was intrigued. Then I talked to a friend that reads a ton and I frequently share books with. She didn't love it and I was a little put off after hearing her take. Then a few weeks ago I talked to another friend whose book choices I respect and she also didn't love it. This changed my mind from being entirely disinterested to wanting to read it more than ever.( I just got home from book club and have had a few drinks so pardon the possible incoherency. More on the best book club in history to come soon.)

Long story (that I already told) short, I saw the book on second friend's shelf and stole it. Well, I borrowed it but it would've been a better story if I had stolen, read it, and replaced it complete with a handwritten thank you note tucked inside the cover.

Contrary to what I expected, I loved the book. If I remember correctly, my friends' complaints had been mainly that the voice in the story wasn't authentic. I won't entirely disagree mostly because the book is told from three different points of view that are a little too similar, but it was still a great story.

The story is ultimately that of all African American women working in southern white homes during the early civil rights movement.  It follows three women: a white lady in her early twenties, a middle-aged black woman maid, and a younger black maid, and their relationships with other members of the community. I am trying not to give too much away. The first night I started in to  it I was hooked and spent the next week reading way too late at night. I have been dragging my way through a daze ever since and am convinced I'm still about 19 hours behind on sleep.

P.S. I keep promising myself I'll post more frequently but then I get overwhelmed with trying to write the best, most entertaining, wittiest review and in the end write nothing. So here on out I am just going to review and if a handful of them suck, it's still better than them not existing at all. So slog through the crappy ones and enjoy the others. Thanks and go read The Help.

No comments:

Post a Comment